Re: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 17:29:11 -0600

On 05/08/2015 05:13 PM, Arthur Schwarz wrote:

>> On 05/08/2015 04:55 PM, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>>>
>>> I just checked the latest iteration of my output listing (VERBOSE = 1)
> and
>>> saw the rule for
>>> Makefile:478 showing test-suite.log failed. Don't know why.
>>>

>> If any test causes a FAIL, XPASS, or ERROR condition, then 'make check'
>> will likewise fail.  The output from make is telling you that your
>> testsuite caught failures that should not be present if the testsuite
>> were passing.
>
>   My issue is that the output indicates that the rule for test-suite.log
> fails. Is this expected? My thought (from the automake manual) is that even
> if there is a failure there should be no difficulty creating or outputting
> test-suite.log. The test harness created a test-suite.log (included as an
> attachment) but failed to output it. Don't know why.

Yes, this is expected.  test-suite.log is created no matter what, but
the rules associated with creating it fail if the log contains any
failure reports, so that make will quit running and let you investigate
those failures.

As for why test-suite.log was not replayed as part of the make output,
I'm not sure that you had VERBOSE=1 set.  So far, you've only attached
the generated Makefile (but not the source Makefile.am), and didn't show
what command you ran.  You'll need to make your setup easier for others
to reproduce before we can see what you are attempting.

As for the test-suite.log not having much output, it is probably because
your tests are not very noisy.  Running make captured all of the output
of your tests, but if your tests didn't output anything, then the log
has very little to show.  Again, without knowing what your test scripts
are doing, it's hard to reproduce your setup.