RE: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: RE: How do you set VERBOSE for parallel testin
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 13:18:31 -0700

> There are 3 "normal" ways a make variable can be set (this is not the
> complete picture but it will do):
>
>  (1) In the environment (FOO=bar make)
>  (2) In the Makefile (FOO=bar in the Makefile)
>  (3) on the make command line (make FOO=bar)

Before I go out on a limb and say something I'll regret, if I understand
this correctly any user variable (not developer variable) can always be
defined via (1) and (3). Is this correct?

Can I do this with lists, e.g.: make TEST="test1 test2..."

And for variables which have script commands associated with them?
For example: make AM_TESTS_ENVIRONMENT=". $(srcdir)/tests-env.sh; \
                       if test -d /usr/xpg4/bin; then \
                          PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:$$PATH; export PATH; \
                       fi;"

If I have several variables do I write: make FOO=bar BAZ=snafu ...?

Suppose the variable has a generated Makefile component (TEST_LOGS) and a
user can change it. What changes, if anything? In order to modify such a
variable is the user required to use form (3)?

Does anything change if the user variable name is different from the
Makefile.am variable name, e.g. ext_LOG_FLAGS and AM_ext_LOG_FLAGS?

Does anything change if the user variable name is the same as the
Makefile.am variable name, e.g. TESTS?

Since I am trying to rewrite Section 15 on Support for Test Suites, and
variables are involved, should I pursue all options which are available for
setting variables or is the Automake Manual sufficient.

thanks