Re: Turn off C compiler warnings in automake

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Re: Turn off C compiler warnings in automake
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:37:22 +0200

On 06/29/15 17:31, Alex Vong wrote:
Thanks for telling me there is no portable flag for doing so.
I am now using AC_SUBST() to set the value of STREAM and append `
$(STREAM)>/dev/null' to every make command. If the user configure with
--enable-verbose-compiler, then STREAM will be set to 0, otherwise
STREAM will be set to 2. This keeps the flexibility. Does it sound
reasonable?

I'm not sure if an output redirection on stdin is portable. But I think given the way you are going about this you could easily set a Makefile variable to the full redirection (or none), i.e. lose the >/dev/null and instead make STREAM be either '2>/dev/null' or the empty string ''?

Regards, Thomas
--
Thomas Jahns
HD(CP)^2

Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum GmbH
Bundesstraße 45a • D-20146 Hamburg • Germany

Phone:  +49 40 460094-151
Fax:    +49 40 460094-270
Email:  Thomas Jahns <address@hidden>

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Thomas Ludwig
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 39784