Re: Integration of a Perl XS module with an Automake build system

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Integration of a Perl XS module with an Automake build system
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:41:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015, Gavin Smith wrote:

as well as a heap of other variable definitions copied from the
MakeMaker Makefile. Now I have to see how ExtUtils:MakeMaker knew what
flags to use to see if I can replicate it.

These definitely come from how Perl was originally compiled and built. If a different compiler sas used, the provided options may be completely different and not work with the compiler you are currently using (even if the generated code would interoperate).

It would be good to find a way to tease these parameters out of the Perl installation.

Something else which changes is the identity of the target, which determines where build products go in the build tree and when installed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn