Re: pre-dist hook?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: pre-dist hook?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:56:08 +0000

Gavin Smith writes:
> On 11 July 2015 at 06:38, Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm thinking I want to run a hook before the distdir target is run.
> >
> > What's a good way to do that?
> >
> > The reason for this is ...
>
> Could you do some trick with EXTRA_DIST? You could have a file that
> only exists when the nested packages are configured that has to be
> distributed.

I have been playing with this for a while now and this what I am
currently using.  I have a dependency on the distributed subdirectory in
the build tree.  If it's there, great.  If it's not, I have a rule that
will stop the 'make' (for at least gmake and pmake) telling the user that
they need to --enable-local-libevent when running configure if they want
to run any "dist" target.

I would not be surprised to discover there are still corner cases, but
for now this solution seems to be OK.

Thanks!