Re: What is minimum set of Automake work files needed for distribution o

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: What is minimum set of Automake work files needed for distribution on github?
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:22:10 -0600

On 09/28/2015 04:20 AM, Robert Parker wrote:
> I need to meet the requirements of 2 sets  of users, the ordinary user who
> is only interested `./configure; make; make install` and the power users
> who want to start with `autoreconf`.
>
> So far google search on the topic has only increased my confusion.

The most common solution: don't store anything but configure.ac and
Makefile.am in git.

The power user checks out git, and runs 'autoreconf' to bootstrap the
project, then runs 'make dist' to create a self-contained tarball.

The ordinary user takes a tarball, unpacks it, and runs './configure;
make; make install' without needing any autotools installed.

Ordinary users therefore do NOT use direct git checkouts.  Working with
git is reserved for power users.