Re: Why hasn't this ARFLAGS patch not been merged yet?

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Why hasn't this ARFLAGS patch not been merged yet?
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 10:24:49 -0500

On 10/31/15, Kim Walisch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two open source projects (primesieve and primecount) which use
> the GNU build system. Both currently print a warning during make
> (tested on Ubuntu 15.10 and Fedora 22):
>
> ar: `u' modifier ignored since `D' is the default (see `U')
>
> For primesieve I have opened an issue on GitHub
> https://github.com/kimwalisch/primesieve/issues/16 with more details.
>
> A patch has been proposed by Pavel Raiskup to fix this issue
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg07705.html
> on the 2nd June 2015 but as far as I can see the patch has not been
> merged into the master branch yet.
>
> I think that many (maybe even most?!) projects using the GNU Build
> System are affected by this issue. So my question is why hasn't this
> patch not yet been accepted?

The issue is just cosmetic, right?  Everything works fine, just some
noise is printed during the build.  The patch just suppresses the
warning message by removing use of the 'u' option.

I believe the Automake project is still looking for a new maintainer[1],
which is probably why the fix has not yet been merged.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2014-11/msg00005.html

Cheers,
  Nick