Re: excluding intermediate flex test suite files from distribution?

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: excluding intermediate flex test suite files from distribution?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 21:41:10 +0000

On 12 November 2015 at 19:19, Will Estes <address@hidden> wrote:
> and Makefile.am:
>
> check_PROGRAMS = test
>
> test_SOURCES = test.l
> nodist_test_SOURCES = test.c
>
> I had to manually create the m4/ directory, but then:
>
> autoreconf -if && ./configure && make && make dist
>
> produces a tar ball with test.c in it. despite the nodist_test_SOURCES line.
>
> So what am I missing?

I'd guess that nodit_test_SOURCES = test.c is wrong, because of this:

"You should never explicitly mention the intermediate (C or C++) file
in any SOURCES variable; only list the source file."

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Yacc-and-Lex.html

I changed Makefile.am to

check_PROGRAMS = test

nodist_test_SOURCES = test.l
#nodist_test_SOURCES = test.c

then after "make dist":

$tar tf basketcase-0.0.1.tar.gz
basketcase-0.0.1/
basketcase-0.0.1/Makefile.in
basketcase-0.0.1/aclocal.m4
basketcase-0.0.1/configure
basketcase-0.0.1/Makefile.am
basketcase-0.0.1/configure.ac
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/depcomp
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/install-sh
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/missing
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/ylwrap
basketcase-0.0.1/build-aux/compile

I guess that's not what you want, because test.l isn't distributed there.

Following Nick's suggestion to use dist-hook, the following appeared
to give good results:

check_PROGRAMS = test

test_SOURCES = test.l

dist-hook:
        rm -f ${distdir}/test.c

With that, test.l is distributed but test.c isn't.