[libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a prefix c

From: Kees-Jan Dijkzeul
Subject: [libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a prefix change?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:26:10 +0100

Hi,

On my buildserver, I'd like to do something along the lines of

# build 1
./configure --prefix=${HOME}/opt/1 && make && make install
# build 2 (incrementally)
./configure --prefix=${HOME}/opt/2 && make && make install

The second make install fails for some libraries, with the message
libtool: install: error: cannot install `<libname.la>' to a directory
not ending in ${HOME}/opt/1

Apparently, libname.la needs to be rebuilt after the prefix changed,
but automake didn't generate the rules to do so.

Any tips? Is this at all possible?

Thanks!

Kees-Jan