Re: [libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a pref

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [libtool] make install fails after an incremental build after a prefix change?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 13:46:52 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Kees-Jan Dijkzeul wrote:

Hi,

On my buildserver, I'd like to do something along the lines of

# build 1
./configure --prefix=${HOME}/opt/1 && make && make install
# build 2 (incrementally)
./configure --prefix=${HOME}/opt/2 && make && make install

The second make install fails for some libraries, with the message
libtool: install: error: cannot install `<libname.la>' to a directory
not ending in ${HOME}/opt/1

Apparently, libname.la needs to be rebuilt after the prefix changed,
but automake didn't generate the rules to do so.

Any tips? Is this at all possible?

Try adding 'make clean' to your build steps.

The best thing to do is to build outside of the source tree and use a separate build directory for each configure incantation.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn