Re: distcheck does 'chmod a-w' - leads to mkdir "permission denied"

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: distcheck does 'chmod a-w' - leads to mkdir "permission denied"
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 20:55:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Nick Bowler wrote:

So the problem seems to be that defines.texi is *also* generated, but by your normal build process? configure outputs it?

Or automake, as run by configure?

$ cat doc/defines.texi.in
@c -*- texinfo -*-
@c @configure_input@

@c Set variables
@set PACKAGE_NAME @PACKAGE_NAME@
@set PACKAGE_TARNAME @PACKAGE_TARNAME@
@set PACKAGE_STRING @PACKAGE_STRING@

<further static stuff>

Goes to:

$ cat doc/defines.texi
@c -*- texinfo -*-
@c doc/defines.texi.  Generated from defines.texi.in by configure.

@c Set variables
@set PACKAGE_NAME Quagga
@set PACKAGE_TARNAME quagga
@set PACKAGE_STRING Quagga 1.2.0

<remaining static stuff>

If the docs depend on configure output then there is no point in distributing generated docs at all, since every user will have to regenerate them anyway.

Well as you can see, texinfo is already required since the rule to build documentation is being run in any case.

True.

I didn't realise that actually.

I would expect it to work out of the box provided that your texi files
are not modified by the build system.

That's the nub of it.

I guess I need to get rid of defines.texi.in somehow.

Thanks,
--
Paul Jakma | address@hidden | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune: