Makefile.am and patch orthogonality

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Makefile.am and patch orthogonality
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 23:47:32 +0300

Hello, all

Contextual  diff-files a very good means of collabo-
rative  development  whenever  they  are  used  with
source  code,  but  I have a problem with .am files.
If two patches should add new source  files  to  the
same  directory,  they  will also have to modify ac-
cordingly the Makefile.am that lists the sources for
that  location, and that is *very* likely to cause a
conflict.

What should you  recommend  to  prevent  Makefile.am
from becoming the bottleneck of collaborative devel-
opment and patch isolation?

I am especially interested in this file:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/HEAD/tree/dosbox/trunk/src/gui/Makefile.am

How can two (or  more)  patches  add  new  files  to
libgui_a_SOURCES independently of one another?

--
Please, do not forward replies to my e-mail.