Re: Not installing to hard-coded locations vs polkit's fixed location

From: Mike Fleetwood
Subject: Re: Not installing to hard-coded locations vs polkit's fixed location
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 08:35:07 +0100

Hi Nick,

On 21 August 2017 at 15:06, Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2017-08-21, Mike Fleetwood <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm working on adding installation of a polkit action file into
>> GParted's build and install system, however the polkit daemon only
>> recongises action files installed into the single location of
>> /usr/share/polkit-1/action/.
>
> There is a section about this issue in the Automake manual[1].
>
>> Currently the Makefile.am contains this line:
>> (larger fragment of the Makefile.am below)
>>     polkit_actiondir = $(datadir)/polkit-1/actions
> [...]
>> Are there any resolutions to this?
>> I could:
>> 1) Leave things as they are and document it as the builders
>>    responsibility, that when prefix defaults to /usr/local, or anything
>>    other than /usr, that the polkit action file will need manually
>>    installing into the correct location under a unique name so as not to
>>    overright any distro package provided copy.
>
> It is pretty much fine as is.  If it matters, the installer can specify
> polkit_actiondir when they install your package, for example:
>
>   % make polkit_actiondir=/the/correct/location install
>
> Just include a note about it in your README.

--8<-- trimmed --8<--

> [1]
> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Hard_002dCoded-Install-Paths

Thank you for your advice.  I will stick with what I have and add a note
in the README file as you suggest.

I had read Automake Manual section 27.10 Installing to Hard-Coded
Locations, but the examples installing files used by another package
were querying python and emacs lisp so I didn't really understand how to
apply them in my case with polkit not being a programming language and
its fixed location.

Thanks again,
Mike