Re: Automake 1.16

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Automake 1.16
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 00:25:57 +0200

Hello,

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>
>> are there any plans to release Automake 1.16?
>>
>> Currently, there is still a nasty bug in 1.15 that is fixed in the
>> development code (I'm talking about the "foo_SOURCES containing
>> variables like $(srcdir)/foo.c" one). Also, I would like to see a
>> release that ships my shorter object file name work. Both issues are
>> raised from time to time, so a release would be welcome.
>>
>> At last, 1.15 is rather old by now. A fresh release would be a good
>> sign of life.

Hopefully 1.15.1 was already a good sign of life.  :)

The commit fixing this bug you are referring to has been made in 2015,
so I agree it should be released soon.  I expect to release 1.16 before
the end of the year.

> I just used ftp to ftp.gnu.org and used 'ls -ltr' of the
> /pub/gnu/automake directory to check upload dates and see that the
> latest Automake is 1.15.1 dated June 19, 2017.  This is not very
> old. Does it still have the bug which is causing a problem for you?

The bugfix was pushed in "minor" branch (for 1.16 release) because it
was considered by previous maintainer as adding an extra feature.  As a
consequence Automake 1.15.1 which was a "micro" release didn't include
it.

Thanks.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37