Re: automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:56:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017, Mike Mestnik wrote:

I'm reading this script closely because I'd like to make a few changes
and am surprised it hasn't received any edits since 2012.  I think the

Perhaps it has been working perfectly since 2012. Or perhaps no one has volunteered to improve it.

I (using this script since October, 2012) did not realize that there was a problem with the script until today.

output is missing ratio of *test's failed, currently only file level
stats are presented not test level, and also the following options
from prove.

--verbose         Print all test lines.
--failures        Show failed tests.

* This to me is a key feature of TAP and this script silently discards
the most useful parts of the protocol.

It would be useful if there was more test summary output.

Somethings I'v spotted that are driving me nuts.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/tree/lib/tap-driver.sh#n100
Clearly indicates that "--color-tests=yes" is the only way to enable
color, there is no auto-detecting a PTY or any support for the
documented "--color-tests=always"

It's also crazy that "--color-tests=y" or "--color-tests=1" won't work
and like wise "--comments" "--no-comments" seems out of place or
rather a better way to implement Boolean arguments.

While I like color in photos and nature, automatic colorization of output often causes problems for me since it often renders the text unreadable. It also introduces terminal escape codes into the text output, which can cause issues if captured output is later displayed on something other than a ANSI terminal.

If there is color support, it should be disabled by default and enabled by the user.

Is there much interest in keeping this script the way it is or can I
lobotomize and release it under a new name?  Suffix of ng is popular
these days, tapng-driver.sh. or tap-driverng.sh

It is normal for projects which use this script to copy the script into their own source tree. In this case you are free to name it anything you like.

If you have implemented improvements then you should submit a patch to the Automake project.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn