Re: automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: automake: tap-driver.sh: cleanup and revival.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:19:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Warren Young wrote:

This thread is about color. My Link MC3+ doesn’t even *have* color, but it will do bold, underline, and blink. Why should Autoconf care what my terminal can do? The operating system has a database mapping what my terminal can do to a common API. Let the library handle it.

I should point out that the "operating system" does not necessarily have what you describe.

Autoconf and Automake support many environments, including some which lack a terminal database.

Indeed, Autoconf and Automake may be configuring/building software which adds support for a terminal database.

This does not mean that it can't be supported on systems which do have terminal information, but it makes the task somewhat more challenging.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn