How to _not_ install a program built with Automake?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: How to _not_ install a program built with Automake?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:49:21 -0400

Hi Everyone,

One last question for the moment...

We build our test program 'cryptest' with hard-coded path using
$prefix.The test vectors can be located at $prefix/share/..., and
everything works as expected after 'make install'.

We also build a second test program intended to be run in-situ, and
its called 'cryptestcwd'. It uses a hard coded path of "./" instead of
$prefix. It is used for 'make check', and it avoids all the path
problems and non-portable workarounds.

We want 'cryptestcwd' built and available for local testing but we
don't want it installed during 'make install'.

My question is, is there a noinst_bin_PROGRAMS or equivalent? I know
there's no noinst_bin_PROGRAMS, but what is the equivalent? Or how
should we handle this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff