Re: Per-Object Flags for Autotool C++ library?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Per-Object Flags for Autotool C++ library?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 16:52:43 -0400

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> EXTRA_libcryptopp_la_DEPENDENCIES listing the objects worked for Linux
>> and OS X, but not Solaris. For Solaris I needed to drop the leading
>> `EXTRA`, and use just `libcryptopp_la_DEPENDENCIES`.
>
> Is that just because you happen to be running an antique version of
> Automake on the Solaris machine?

Well, I'm not sure. Is this considered old:

    $ automake --version
    automake (GNU automake) 1.11.2

One of our driving principles is "things just work". We don't want
library users inconvenienced or installing extra software. They should
be able to sit down at their computer, run configure, and everything
should work as expected.

If something does not work as expected then it becomes our problem. We
are expected to find workarounds so library users are not
inconvenienced.

Jeff