Re: _SOURCES files in sub-directories lead to make distdir failure

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: _SOURCES files in sub-directories lead to make distdir failure
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:09:13 -0500

Hi,

On 1/24/18, netfab <address@hidden> wrote:
> Into that project, there's a subdirectory to build a library using
> libtool-2.4.6. The source code of this library is organized into
> sub-directories, like this :
>>      mylib/makefile.am
>>      mylib/aaa.cpp
>>      mylib/aaa.h
>>      mylib/foo/bbb.cpp
>>      mylib/foo/bbb.h
>>      mylib/bar/ccc.cpp
>>      mylib/bar/ccc.h

Looks fine so far.

> The makefile.am for this lib contains :
>> libmyLIB_la_SOURCES = \
>>          aaa.cpp     aaa.h \
>>      foo/bbb.cpp foo/bbb.h \
>>      bar/ccc.cpp bar/ccc.h

This looks fine too.

> I'm initializing automake with :
>> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([subdir-objects])

Also fine.

> When building the whole project, it works fine.
> However, when running :
>> make distcheck
>

> Is fails like following, and I don't see how to fix this :
>> make[5]: Entering directory '/path/to/project/build/src/lib/mylib'
>> make[5]: *** No rule to make target 'foo/bbb.h ', needed by 'distdir'. Stop.
>
> Any advice ? Thanks.

The thing that distcheck is testing here is that the package can be
built with separate source and build directories.  It appears that this
functionality is broken in your package, and distcheck is notifying you
of this fact.

Since you are hitting this problem now, you have probably only been
testing in-tree builds until this moment.

Unfortunately your provided snippets are not complete working code, and
I expect the error involves part of the code you have not shown us.

Cheers,
  Nick