Re: manual: Why use 'maude' as the example program name?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: manual: Why use 'maude' as the example program name?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 10:20:31 -0700

>>>>> "Kang-Che" == Kang-Che Sung <address@hidden> writes:

Kang-Che> And I really wonder one thing: Why these obscure name had been
Kang-Che> chosen, instead of having a name like "myprog", "foo" or
Kang-Che> "fooprog" that is more obvious as a placeholder?

It's easily distinguished from any ordinary text and I have a dislike of
"foo" as an example.  Also Maude was the name of my dog.

Kang-Che> This had troubled me when I need to look up the meanings of
Kang-Che> Automake variables frequently in order to write a debug an
Kang-Che> Automake file. And I hope the keywords can be indexed in a
Kang-Che> better way.

IMO the index should refer to definitions of primaries but not the names
used in examples.

Tom