Re: Python2 and Python3 checks

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Python2 and Python3 checks
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:34:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018, Matěj Týč wrote:

The question stands like this: Is there a demand on automake side to fix this issue - to allow developers addressing multiple Python interpreters of different major versions? If so, I think that I can come up with some patches to get this working.

Is there a purpose to this macro from an Automake (creating Makefiles) standpoint? Does Automake offer special Python module building support which depends on the Python version?

If the issue is just to find a particular Python interpreter version (an Autoconf configure task), then it is likely that there are other macros already existing which do this better.

Autotools is in it for the long haul since parts of it have been in use since 1994. The issue of Python 2 vs Python 3 will eventually be resolved and forgotten. Anything added today to solve what should be a short term problem will be an encumberance or problem in the future.

The ability to specify a maximum version sounds useful but it is difficult to foretell the future and a package using the feature might be adding an artificial limitation which eventually leads to failures because the requested version range is no longer in use.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn