Re: [GSoC] "Modularize Automake" Final Report

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: [GSoC] "Modularize Automake" Final Report
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 10:15:18 +0200

Hello Matthias,

Matthias Paulmier <address@hidden> writes:

>   This summer has overall been a great experience for me as I have
>   learned a lot about Perl and tests in general.  This was a big
>   challenge for me as I have never worked on such a large code base (it
>   may not be much for others but it was quite a significant one for me).
>   As we have seen above, the project still needs some work as I have
>   said previously.
>
>   As you may know if you follow this list, Mathieu is stepping down as
>   maintainer of Automake.  The code produced this summer will therefore
>   not be integrated into the project until someone is taking on that
>   role and is willing to review the changes.
>
>   I am not aware of anyone taking on the role of maintainer of Automake
>   so far but, when this person is there, I am willing to work with them
>   to be able to integrate my code into Automake as well as improving or
>   expanding it (while I will not be as available as this summer i am
>   still willing to contribute).  Be it partially or in its entirety.  I
>   think some parts could be very interesting for the project.
>   Especially the fix of the Perl `XFAIL' tests and the use of the
>   `Export' module inside Automake.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed and honest report, and even if I
have not been able to follow the second half of the coding period in
details, I am pleased with the work you have done.

Even if I stepped down I am still a commiter, so there is nothing
besides time which prevents me from integrating your work in particular
if those changes are safe.  In theory, refactoring work can easily be
reviewed if for example you create one patch for each module extracted
with its corresponding test.  I recommend to submit those patches
incrementally to <address@hidden>.

Thank you for your participation in the GSoC!

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37