Re: Parallel builds with some ordering constraints

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: Parallel builds with some ordering constraints
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:03:14 -0800

On Sat, 2018-12-29 at 16:10 -0500, Nick Bowler wrote:
> Hello,

Hey Nick,

> OK, I am assuming you are using the Automake parallel-tests feature.

Yes, that's correct.

> So there's no problem with building the programs, the issue is just
> in the execution order of the test cases?  You have one test case
> which must run before all other test cases, and one test case which
> must run after all other test cases.

Correct.

> The documented method to ensure ordering between two (or more) test
> cases in the parallel test harness is to put explicit make
> prerequisites between the log files[1], e.g. (totally untested):

Thank you so much. I totally missed ยง 15.2.1.

>   all_tests_except_start = test1.log test2.log test3.log test-
> stop.log
>   all_tests_except_stop = test-start.log test1.log test2.log
> test3.log
>
>   $(all_tests_except_start): test-start.log
>   test-stop.log: $(all_tests_except_stop)

[snip]

> Hope that helps,

Almost! The problem is with the last rule you defined because a rule to
generate test-stop.log would have already been generated by Automake
and this would override it. I tested in my own source tree and
confirmed that:

   automake-1.16: warnings are treated as errors
   Makefile.am:200: warning: user target 'Init_d_Stop.sh.log' defined here ...
   /usr/share/automake-1.16/am/check2.am: ... overrides Automake target
'Init_d_Stop.sh.log' defined here
   make: *** [Makefile:1156: ../Makefile.in] Error 1

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP signed/encrypted mail preferred