Re: Automake 1.16.1: problem with non-gnu make and gnulib

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake 1.16.1: problem with non-gnu make and gnulib
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 08:34:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2019, Assaf Gordon wrote:

Hello,

I've encountered a problem where a released tarball (of 'make dist')
generated by Automake-1.16.1 fails to build with non-gnu make (e.g.
"bmake" on BSDs).
The exact same project and 'make dist' with automake-1.15 builds fine.

It has something to do with non-recursive makefile structure common
to some gnu projects.

The problem may very well have to do with parts obtained from gnulib or an implementation artifact from the template Makefiles.

I did a test build of GraphicsMagick using Illumos '/usr/bin/make' under OmniOSce and under Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using 'bmake'. The test builds succeeded (even parallel builds), including the test suite. GraphicsMagick uses a non-recursive build, but does not depend on gnulib or 'po' files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt