Re: Installing something nonstandard in $(libdir)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Installing something nonstandard in $(libdir)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 15:41:45 -0700

>>>>> "Zack" == Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

Zack> Makefile.am:158: error: 'libfoo$(SOEXT).1' is not a standard library name
Zack> Makefile.am:158: did you mean 'libfoo$(SOEXT).a'?

Zack> and lib_DATA is the obvious alternative but that doesn't work either:

Zack> Makefile.am:145: error: 'libdir' is not a legitimate directory for 'DATA'

Zack> So, the question is, is there a lib_SOMETHING variable that I can use
Zack> to install to $(libdir) arbitrary stuff that automake doesn't
Zack> understand?  If not, is there some other option?

I believe you can work around the checks by providing your own install
directory variable, like:

myexeclibdir = $(libdir)
myexeclib_DATA = ...

The "exec" is in the name to ensure that "make install-exec" installs
these files, see (info "(automake) The Two Parts of Install") for this
detail.

Tom