Re: ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 19:38:20 -0600

    AC_INIT([wifidog], [1.3.0])
    AC_INIT(src/common.h)

You're calling AC_INIT twice. That doesn't seem like it can be good,
althogh I'm not sure it is the cause of the error. (Seems like it would
be too easy.)

Also:
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE    # (wifidog,$WIFIDOG_VERSION)

Don't put # comments in the middle of a line for configure.ac.
Use "dnl (wifidog...". I got "no valid invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
found before I removed that.

Also, although it should not be related to the bug, I surmise that using
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
would be better, so as to avoid errors about various required files.

Anyway, back to the original error:

>      ./configure: line 2489: Report: command not found
>      ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found
..

So, looking around line 2489 of your generated ./configure, I see:
    ----
    test -n "$ac_init_help" && exit $ac_status

    Report bugs to the package provider.
    _ACEOF
    ac_status=$?
    fi
    ----

Clearly there is supposed to be some sort of here document there related
to the help message. In a normal configure, it looks like this:

    cat >>$CONFIG_STATUS <<\_ACEOF || ac_write_fail=1
    ac_cs_usage="\
    \`$as_me' instantiates files and other configuration actions
    Report bugs to the package provider."

    _ACEOF

So somehow the beginning of that standard code is not getting output. If
removing the second AC_INIT doesn't do it, all I can suggest is chopping
stuff out of your configure.ac until you find the piece that causes the
problem. E.g., make sure a minimal configure.ac:

AC_INIT([amin], [0.0])dnl
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

(and an empty Makefile.am) works, and add stuff to that, or remove stuff
from your configure.ac, until you can narrow it down.

I was using the original versions of autotools as released by GNU, not
the centos versions. So behavior may differ ...

Hope this helps somehow,
Karl