Re: ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found

From: TomK
Subject: Re: ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 13:50:28 -0400

On 7/17/2020 9:38 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
     AC_INIT([wifidog], [1.3.0])
     AC_INIT(src/common.h)

Ok, commented out AC_INIT([wifidog], [1.3.0]). But then I get:

[root@dd-wrt01 wifidog-gateway]# aclocal
configure.ac:37: error: AC_INIT should be called with package and version arguments
/usr/share/aclocal-1.13/init.m4:23: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
configure.ac:37: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
[root@dd-wrt01 wifidog-gateway]#

So I put AC_INIT([wifidog], [1.3.0]) back and comment out:

# AC_INIT(src/common.h)

The section now looks like this:

# AC_PROG_RANLIB  Obsoleted.  Use LT_INIT
AC_INIT([wifidog], [1.3.0])

# AC_INIT(src/common.h)

AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
LT_INIT

You're calling AC_INIT twice. That doesn't seem like it can be good,
althogh I'm not sure it is the cause of the error. (Seems like it would
be too easy.)

Also:
   AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE    # (wifidog,$WIFIDOG_VERSION)

Don't put # comments in the middle of a line for configure.ac.
Use "dnl (wifidog...". I got "no valid invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
found before I removed that.

Ok. Updates the lines like this:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
dnl (wifidog, $WIFIDOG_VERSION)
# AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

Now when I run through the following:

libtoolize
aclocal
autoheader
automake
autoreconf

I get a file that's significantly smaller:

[root@dd-wrt01 wifidog-gateway]# ls -atlri configure
425418016 -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 594071 Jul 18 13:44 configure

And I now the original proglem is resolved ( Thank You Very Much! ) So looks like the INIT lines were it then.

Now I get this instead of the above said error:

[root@dd-wrt01 wifidog-gateway]# ./configure
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "." "./.." "./../.."
[root@dd-wrt01 wifidog-gateway]#

Same error when I run ./autogen.sh . Time to search for why these are missing.

Also, although it should not be related to the bug, I surmise that using
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
would be better, so as to avoid errors about various required files.

Anyway, back to the original error:

      ./configure: line 2489: Report: command not found
      ./configure: line 2490: _ACEOF: command not found
..

So, looking around line 2489 of your generated ./configure, I see:
     ----
     test -n "$ac_init_help" && exit $ac_status

     Report bugs to the package provider.
     _ACEOF
     ac_status=$?
     fi
     ----

Clearly there is supposed to be some sort of here document there related
to the help message. In a normal configure, it looks like this:

     cat >>$CONFIG_STATUS <<\_ACEOF || ac_write_fail=1
     ac_cs_usage="\
     \`$as_me' instantiates files and other configuration actions
     Report bugs to the package provider."

     _ACEOF

So somehow the beginning of that standard code is not getting output. If
removing the second AC_INIT doesn't do it, all I can suggest is chopping
stuff out of your configure.ac until you find the piece that causes the
problem. E.g., make sure a minimal configure.ac:

AC_INIT([amin], [0.0])dnl
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

(and an empty Makefile.am) works, and add stuff to that, or remove stuff
from your configure.ac, until you can narrow it down.

I was using the original versions of autotools as released by GNU, not
the centos versions. So behavior may differ ...

Hope this helps somehow,
Karl

It did help.  Tyvm again.

--