INSTALL_DATA += -p

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: INSTALL_DATA += -p
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 01:01:22 -0500

I'd like to make sure that timestamps are preserved on "make
install".  I found the variable ‘INSTALL_DATA’ but cannot do the
above (subject line) addition to Makefile.am, because Automake
interprets INSTALL as a primary and bails out since that is not
defined as such.

The background reason is that i am installing .scm and .go files
(the latter compiled from the former) and the .go files need to
have a "later" timestamp than the .scm files for Guile to DTRT.
I suppose a workaround is to use an installation hook to simply
touch(1) the .go files.

Is there a better way to do this?

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero