Re: automake variable prefix 'check_'

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: automake variable prefix 'check_'
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:46:16 -0500

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM DUDZIAK Krzysztof
<krzysztof.dudziak@thalesgroup.com> wrote:
> As one can't find string "distcheck" in GCS

By GCS do you mean the GNU Coding Standards?

> it looks like it wasn't GCS
> which constitutes support and usage of `distcheck' target.
> Maybe it is POSIX, or UNIX.

As far as I know, the distcheck target was invented by automake. It
probably should be added to the GNU Coding Standards, if it's not
there already, but I don't know if anyone is working on that document
anymore.

> I wonder if recipe to build `distcheck' target
> as compiled by automake gets same form as John Calcote
> describes it in chapter 3 his Practitioner's Guide (2nd ed.).

I have not read this book. Since it was published ten years ago,
anything it describes may well be out of date.  I don't think
distcheck has changed much in that time, but I could be wrong.

> For one Makefile generated by autotools in one of my last projects
> I see building `check' target is included in `distcheck' recipe.
> If yes, all products prefixed with `check_'  would be built also
> when `make distcheck' command is run.

Yes, this is intentional. I don't think I understand what your question is.

zw