Constantly changing libtool

From: Laurence Marks
Subject: Constantly changing libtool
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 13:13:15 -0500

I have some software which has been "fine" for about 15 years, with one
exception: every 6-12 months or so when I (or students/others) compile it
we run into version problems. The typical ones are version mismatch between
libtool and/or aclocal (called from libtool). While I can futze around with
libtoolize/aclocal/autoconf/automake etc until it works, this is not viable
for users who barely understand linux.

Is there some way in configure.ac (Makefile.am) to setup so the relevant
version fixes can be done automatically? There are so many posts about
version mismatches that this should be there. Maybe it is and I just missed
it.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University