Re: Constantly changing libtool

From: Laurence Marks
Subject: Re: Constantly changing libtool
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:33:43 -0500

Unfortunately things are not consistent, and in general have not been for
some time. It all depends upon which version has been installed which is
sometimes (often) beyond the control/competence of users. Even someone who
is moderately competent can have problems. For instance, on my laptop I
have both cygwin & Ubuntu; my cluster has Centos. Some of my students have
VM and/or Mac-Unix, and who knows what other users in Russia/Japan/etc have
-- I can't control that. I typically install autoXYZ on my systems in
/use/local, but that is not a reliable or general fix.

When moving between machines/OS to test (as gcc & now gfortran are moving
targets) I almost always have to reconfig. Libtool is part of the issue,
but there are also couplings to aclocal macros and sometimes other
components as well.

In the same way as autoXZY sets up Makefiles in an OS independent fashion,
there should be a way to autoupdate autoXYZ files for each system without
user intervention. (I don't mean automake itself or similar, I do mean only
the local files.) In an ideal world this would be a macro in
configure.ac....

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Györgyi