Re: Future plans for Autotools

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Future plans for Autotools
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 15:44:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 May 2021, Karl Berry wrote:

(*) https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2021-03/msg00018.html
So far the response has been nil.

I don't recall seeing that email. I did see an email thread regarding Autoconf which immediately became a lot of "need to support this soon" and "wouldn't it be nice" discussion, totally missing the point of the text they were reponding to (i.e. "project is on the gurney and may expire without help").

Regardless, "baby bird" syndrome seems to be striking a great many established free software projects which are mature and heavily used.

Projects operated by billion dollar companies with teams of developers paid to sit in a cubicles and write free sofware seem to be doing fine.

Unfortunately, this is not the model for most GNU projects.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/