Re: Automake for RISC-V

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Automake for RISC-V
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 13:18:56 -0500

Hi Billa,

On 18/11/2021, Billa Surendra <billa.iitmadras@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have cross-compiled Automake-1.16.2 package with RISC-V cross compiler,
> but when I am executing binaries on RISC-V target OS image its gives errors
> like "not found".

Automake is written in Perl so it does not really get "compiled" in the
usual sense.

[...]
> $   ./configure  --prefix=/usr --host=riscv64-unknown-linux-gnu
> $ make -j8
> $  make DESTDIR=$risc-v_rootfs/ install
[...]
> *Error message (on risc-v rootfs):*
>
> ./aclocal
> -/bin/sh: ./aclocal: not found
>
> ./aclocal-1.16
> -/bin/sh: ./aclocal-1.16: not found

My first guess is that perl is not installed on the host (risc-v)
system.  Specifically, these files begin with #!/usr/bin/perl (or
similar - depends on configure tests) and that program is not
available when you run them.

However, I took a quick look at Automake's configure script and it
appears it detects perl only on the build system and then installs
that filename into the installed scripts.  So I think it will not
work out of the box unless a supported perl version is installed
at the same location on both the build and host machines.

Cheers,
  Nick