Re: curl's XC_AMEND_DISTCLEAN (Seeking contractor for a regression bug f

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: curl's XC_AMEND_DISTCLEAN (Seeking contractor for a regression bug fix)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 16:25:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday 2023-03-02 16:12, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>On Thursday 2023-03-02 09:56, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
>> last year I reported a regression in automake:
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59288
>
>One will find that there is a file m4/xc-am-iface.m4 and a m4 macro
>"XC_AMEND_DISTCLEAN". Whatever this is - the git log and the macro comment are
>not useful[...]

So I had only read XC_AMEND_DISTCLEAN_BODY. The real deal
is a bit further down below.

>dnl distclean and maintainer-clean targets are modified
>dnl to avoid unconditional removal of dependency subdirs
>dnl which triggers distclean and maintainer-clean errors
>
>dnl New behavior first removes each dependency tracking
>dnl file independently, and only removes each dependency

Since the previously identified automake commit
08849db866b44510f6b8fd49e313c91a43a3dfd3 stopped the removal of
dependency subdirs, calling XC_AMEND_DISTCLEAN to replace said
subdirs by individual files indeed would no longer
necessary.