[avr-chat] Which simulator to use?

From: Kitts
Subject: [avr-chat] Which simulator to use?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:25:23 +0530

I am pretty new to simulators. The only one i had known was the
AVRStudio provided by Atmel for free.

I have since shifted to Linux and looking for an alternative. Today i
look for more of my simulator than like AVR studio. I have come across
2 such simulators, VMLab and Proteus VSM (Does Simulavr(xx) come in
this category?) I would like to have all my peripherals (outside the
uc) included in libraries so i can simulate in full.

I tried VMLab on a windows machine at work. It seemed nice considering
that an important need for me is the serial port terminal. Yet it was
ridiculously slow processing at about 1ms processor time in 1 minute
real world time on a 3GHz P4 machine! This means there appears one
character every minute when set at 9600 baud! There is no way i can
debug at this speed! Is there a better option?

Which is the Simulator that is most commonly used and preferable native
to linux. I use EAGLE for my schematics and PCB design. Any tool out
there that can take input from eagle for simulating the design?
--
Cheers!
Kitts