[avr-chat] JVM for AVR

From: Till Harbaum
Subject: [avr-chat] JVM for AVR
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:04:14 +0200

Hi,

i just found the a request for a AVR JVM in the list logs. I wrote a simple
JVM for AVR that even runs on a Mega8. See http://www.harbaum.org/till/nanovm
for details.

The VM itself currently isn't open source (it probably will be soon), but the
converter tools already are. The whole project was meant to make Asuro (a AVR
based robot) programming a little simpler. There are still two things that
are IMHO required to make everything really simple: A convenient way to
install and use Suns comm api to allow my upload tool to access the target
system via the pcs rs232 and a eclipse plugin.

Besides the Asuro version i have a simple generic Mega8 version of the NanoVM
which comes with native classes to access simple io ports and to use a timer
and of course the RS232 (for console output). This is e.g. sufficient to
write a simple "traffic lights" like applications. There isn't much space
left of the Mega8's 8k flash, but e.g. some simple native ADC/PWM classes may
still fit into there.

Ciao,
  Till

--
Dr.-Ing. Till Harbaum                       Tel.:  +49 721 4998963
BeeCon GmbH                                 Fax:   +49 721 4998962