[avr-chat] Wiring: a parallel microcontroller development universe run b

From: Ned Konz
Subject: [avr-chat] Wiring: a parallel microcontroller development universe run by artists and educators
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:46:56 -0800

Hi folks,

I figured you'd be interested in this.

Through a lucky web search, I ran across the "Wiring" project ( http://wiring.org.co/ ).

This is an open source (GPL/LGPL) / open hardware project that has produced a microcontroller development system that:

* Contains an integrated development environment with text editor, compiler, and program uploader
* Is based on the AVR Atmega128 processor
* Provides a simplified subset of C, C++ and/or Java (C99 without pointers, Java without objects or classes, or C++ without pointers, objects, or classes) * Preprocesses to C++ which is then compiled by g++ (avr-gcc) for uploading to the board
* Has a USB serial interface (using the FTDI 232 chip)
* Runs on Linux, Mac OS/X, and even Windows machines
* Has actually been used by many people for real and interesting projects (who needs another MP3 player or hobby robot, after all?)
* Has a nice looking web site with examples and links to real projects

Also, there are some interesting related web sites:

InstantSOUP, an online electronics cookbook:
http://instantsoup.interaction-ivrea.it/index/index_instantsoup

Processing, the language project on which Wiring is based:
http://processing.org

Arduino, another open source AVR processing board (one with a serial interface and a smaller atmega8 chip, another with a USB interface) that uses a slightly more limited version of the Wiring language:
http://arduino.berlios.de/

This is interesting to me, partly because I have already made an almost identical PIC-based board (see http://www.bionode.com) but haven't done the software environment yet (though/because I have more ambitious ideas than theirs as to the development environment), and partly because I think there's a need for a simpler programming environment for these little microcontrollers.

One fascinating aspect to this is that these people seem to be living in a universe completely parallel to that of the electronics engineers and hobbyists who hang out at avrfreaks.net, the PIClist, read Nuts and Volts and Circuit Cellar, etc..

It's surprising to me, for instance, that the AVR developer and hobbyist community (avrfreaks.net is a good place to find them) seems not to know about these projects.

And -- having worked with artists some -- I realize that artists will put up with a fair amount of pain from their tools if they can get good results. However, students probably won't, and their success in educational settings is commendable.

Thanks,
Ned