Re: [avr-chat] compiling avrdude on FreeBSD

From: Matthew MacClary
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] compiling avrdude on FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:44:31 -0800

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:18:53PM -0500, Christopher Bailey wrote:
> I would like to compile the version of avrdude just checked out using=20
>
> cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/avrdude co avrdude
>
> in order to test the fix for the bug below. I have built avrdude on
> FreeBSD 5.4 from the port, but I don't know how to compile from scratch.
> Can someone teach me how to do this? I realize this is probably rather
> elementary, but none-the-less, I would like to learn.

    Since you are using the ports system, you can just patch the
avrdude code you have sitting in your ports directory, then
rebuild. This alternate method allows you to keep using FreeBSD's
package management system. (I have done this with other ports, but I
have not tried applying this patch to avrdude so your mileage may
vary.)

1) "make deinstall clean" for avrdude. If you have previously done a
   "make clean" for avrdude, you may have to use pkg_delete.

2) Make sure you have the latest code with cvsup or portupgrade (also
   make sure that Joerg hasn't already made the changes to the port to
   get the Butterfly working!)

3) Ask CVS to generate a patch for you to bring the version of
   avrdude in ports up to the version that you need. (Actually, maybe
   I am thinking of SVN which can automatically do diffs, in which
   case you will have to download both versions from CVS and make your
   own patch using diff - this is well covered on the web.)

4) Patch your ports version of the avrdude source. Hopefully the
   changes are fairly isolated and the patch applies cleanly!

5) "make install" for avrdude, and watch as the package is
   automatically compiled and installed for you.

-Matt