RE: [avr-chat] Strange struct problem

From: Larry Barello
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Strange struct problem
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:19:02 -0800

Which version of the compiler are you using?  I find it hard to believe that
something this fundamental (a static array of five chars) would go unnoticed
until now.

I took your test case, stripped it down and it appears that GCC does the
right thing: Because the data is initialized it sticks the struct onto the
stack then initializes the values.

The version of GCC I am using is 3.4.3 (WinAvr)

Are you using some hacked version of the C runtime, or startup that isn't
initializing the SRAM data?  Or is it possible you application is > 64k and
the initialized data segment is beyond the reach of the LPM command (IIRC
gcc can't access data > 64k, although the code can go that high)

Larry Barello
www.barello.net