[avr-chat] AVCC / JTAG oddity

From: Gary Douglas
Subject: [avr-chat] AVCC / JTAG oddity
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:15:07 -0700

Hi all,

Just got a new board in, and it's behaving strangely.
It's and ATMEGA64 design, but is not usign the A to D.

I've connected AVCC to +5 observing all of the regular precautions (bypass cap...).

When AVCC is connected The unit cannot be programmed via JTAG (JTAGICE MKII) , and connecting to the unit is spotty. I can read fuses and stuff, but writing doesn't work.

When I cut the track connecting AVCC to +5, the unit works perfectly.

This is contrary to all of the docs, and is quite puzzling.

I have other designs where AVCC is connected to +5 and has NO problems.

The supply looks clean and solid.

Thoughts?

--
Gary Douglas