Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Recommendation?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Recommendation?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:14:41 +0200 (MET DST)

<address@hidden> wrote:

> I am looking for a jtag adapter, suitable for use with avarice. I'd
> prefer to not pay the $400 or so Atmel is asking for a genuine
> original - can anyone recommend which of the cheaper clones works
> with this configuration (preferably under both windows and linux
> hosts).

mkI clones are available at a wide range, starting from do-it-yourself
setups.  All you need is an ATmega16, a MAX232, and a 7.3xx MHz
crystal.

However, keep in mind that the mkI firmware is at its limit, and won't
be developed further by Atmel.  Thus, you are limited with any mkI
device (regardless of whether a genuine Atmel one or any of the
clones) to the AVRs supported by the existing firmware.  The most
recent AVRs supported by it were the AT90CAN128 and ATmega169.
Anything newer (AT90CAN32/64, ATmega640/1280/1281/2560/2561,
ATmega329x/649x, ATmega325x/645x, ATmega164/324/644) cannot be handled
with it.  Obviously, debugWire and AVR32 support are also only present
in the mkII ICE.

There has been some reverse engineering of AVRs private debugging JTAG
instructions, and as a result the FreeICE project has been formed, but
there doesn't appear to be have been any progress within the last
couple of years.

--
NEU: inter:gator Version 2.0 - intelligenter Finden: http://www.intergator.de