[avr-chat] avrdude 5.1, Mega64, Jtag MK 1, and fuses

From: Gary Douglas
Subject: [avr-chat] avrdude 5.1, Mega64, Jtag MK 1, and fuses
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:38:56 -0600

Hi all,

I have a jtagMk1 and I'm trying to program the fuses on a mega64 but I'm seeing something strange.

Here's the command line I use for avrdude:

avrdude -p m64 -c jtag1 -B 1 -P /dev/ttyS0 -U efuse:w:0xff:m -U hfuse:w:0x80:m -U lfuse:w:0x7f:m -U flash:w:bootloader.hex

This seems to write and verify OK, but once everything's done, avrdude's safe mode thinks otherwise. I see this output:

avrdude: safemode: hfuse changed! Was 80, and is now 20
Would you like this fuse to be changed back? [y/n] y
avrdude: safemode: and is now rescued
avrdude: safemode: efuse changed! Was ff, and is now fc
Would you like this fuse to be changed back? [y/n] y
avrdude: safemode: and is now rescued
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

I see this whether or not I have the last '-U flash:w:bootloader.hex' item. I've also tried writing the fuse values to 1 byte intel Hex files and using these as the source - but I get exactly the same result.

The flash programs OK in all cases.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Gary