[avr-chat] Can't program an ATMEGA48 using avrispmkII

From: Eddie Dawydiuk
Subject: [avr-chat] Can't program an ATMEGA48 using avrispmkII
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:43:30 -0700 (MST)

Hell all,

I am new to list, I've searched google as well as this mailing list to find a solution to my problem but so far I have been unable to. During development I use AVR studio to program my development board. I am now integrating the programming of the AVR into our production framework. I installed avrdude version 5.1, initially I was able to program my device using avrdude. Recently I have found several boards are in a state in which I can not program them using avrdude. The initial failure condition is the signature is not properly read.

e.g.

address@hidden:root]#avrdude -p m48 -P usb -c avrispmkII -U flash:w:/var/ts-production/bitstreams/tsbat3.hex

avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

address@hidden:root]#

Although if I add the -F option the next failure condition is a failure when writing to flash memory.

address@hidden:root]#avrdude -p m48 -P usb -c avrispmkII -U flash:w:/var/ts-production/bitstreams/tsbat3.hex -F
avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "/var/ts-production/bitstreams/tsbat3.hex"
avrdude: input file /var/ts-production/bitstreams/tsbat3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (3594 bytes):

Writing | # | 1% 0.02savrdude: stk500v2_paged_write: write command failed with 129
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-1

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I ran into this several times earlier and I was able to get the boards into a state where I could program them by using AVR studio and modifying the ISP frequency. After doing so I found avrdude could properly program the boards. I've tried to use the -B flag to modify the ISP frequency from avrdude although this doesn't seem to help. Even worse yet AVR studio no longer seems to work. The command I have been using that lead to this
problem is listed below.

        avrdude -p m48 -P usb -c avrispmkII -v -e -F -u -B 100\
        -U flash:w:bitstearm.hex \
        -U lfuse:w:0x0E:m \
        -U hfuse:w:0xDF:m \
        -U efuse:w:0x01:m

One thing to note, I have a known working
board that has only been programmed with AVR studio and I can still
program this board with AVR studio. The other three boards I tried to
program with avrdude are all in this same state where I can't program
them.

Could someone provide any insight, any troubleshooting suggestions? Is
there any more information I could provide that would be helpful?

//Eddie