Re: [avr-chat] How to program fuses with avrdude

From: Nuno Santos
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] How to program fuses with avrdude
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:28:06 +0100

Hi,

The time between the last message made me find myself the answer.

I'm very new to this kind of programming (ISP via parallel cable), i burned my AVR Dragon this week, and in the next day i bought the material necessary to build one of these.

Until yesterday everything was just fine, i programmed the chips via parallel cable perfectly.

Today when i got here i wasnt getting the chip programmed.

Well, i thought it was my mega 32, and i tried another just new.

But first i had to program the fuses to use a crystal of 12 MHz.

After programming the fuses i got fuses problems, and since then i have tried the remaing mega32 (3 more)

All of them wasnt recognized and now i dont even get that.

I just have "AVR Device not responding"!!!

What do you people think is happening here? Burned parallel port????

I have a karma with this things!! :(

Thx,

Nuno

Today i got here and it was notrecognizing
Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Nuno Santos <address@hidden> wrote:

Please, can you tell me how to do it on the flY?

Not sure what you mean by "on the fly".  Once the fuse is programmed,
it will remain that way.  After all, it's just another EEPROM cell.

You didn't tell us *what* kind of oscillator you are trying to attach,
so it's hard to guess in particular what startup timing you'd like to
have.  As you're writing it's an external *oscillator*, I don't assume
you'd like to connect just a crystal only but a real oscillator.

According to the datasheet, external clock requires the CKSEL bits to
be all 0, so this the low nibble of lfuse is 0.  For a most
pessimistic assumption about the startup-time the oscillator needs,
selecting 65 ms results in the SUT bits being 0b10.  This gives bits 4
and 5 of the lfuse.  Finally, the two high-order bits of lfuse
determine the state and voltage level of the brown-out detection.
They are disabled by default, i.e. 0b11.  So all together, this makes
0b11100000, or 0xe0.

avrdude ... -U lfuse:w:0xe0:m