Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] TCP/IP : practical guide to implementing ? (LONG post...)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:24:19 +0200

Thanks chaps, for all your contributions !
That did help a lot, I have now I think, figured out the best way to
proceed in view of this interview... and far beyond.

The one interesting point that stood out I find, is that there really
isn't one single, best/approved way to learn embedded TCP/IP. Everyone
seemed to have done it in different ways, and ultimately you all
managed to get the hang of it. So that makes me feel more comfortable :
at the end of the day you learn it through practice, whatever form it
takes. So, for that interview I guess it's pointless to sweat and learn
"as much as possible", because even the introductory book that was
suggested, is 750 pages thick alone ! I should rather "just" ;-) learn
enough to demonstrate I have a reasonable overview of the background
concepts, along with some idea of what a practical implementation looks
like, and then they should be clever/responsible enough to understand
that I can't possibly be expected to learn 5,000 pages of RFC's by
heart (and I bet none of the engineers who implemented TCP/IP in their
current products, do either ! ;-), but that I rather need to actually
work on their products to train myself on the particular bits of the
protocol that they actually need/use in their products.

Thanks again guys, I know what to do now...

Regards,

--
Vince