AVR ICE-Cube (was Re: [avr-chat] Re: Programmer for everyone!)

From: Graham Davies
Subject: AVR ICE-Cube (was Re: [avr-chat] Re: Programmer for everyone!)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:28:25 -0400

William Bulley wrote:

can you tell me in 25 words or less just exactly what your
AVR ICE-Cube does for me?

For a useful sub-set of AVR microcontrollers, you can download firmware, set fuses, etc. AND perform SOURCE-LEVEL DEBUGGING of your program. See http://www.ecrostech.com/AtmelAvr/AvrIceCube/index.htm and help for the JTAG ICE in AVR Studio. This is also true of other JTAG ICE clones.

Also, all this talk about AVR Studio from Atmel confuses me.

Unfortunately, Atmel (like many other corporations) pretty much assumes you have a Windows system. It's just a fact of life. There's a lot of documentation you can't get at (legally) without a Windows system. The AVR Dragon documentation, for example. People do re-publish this stuff, but strictly that's in violation of copyright and it's up to you whether you make use of it or not.

 If it does work with Linux/Unix that is great ...

The AVR ICE-Cube works with the GNU/Linux/FreeBSD tools that are frequently discussed here in the same way that the Atmel JTAG ICE does (and other clones as well - I'm trying to be scrupulously fair, here).

but if I abhor Windoze and still am want to work with AVR designs,
are the avr-gcc and related tools (avrdude comes to mind) on Linux
suitable or does one need a Windoze box to glean something critical
from Atmel?

I abhor Windoze too. But, I respect software licenses. My reading of the license agreement of AVR Studio is that I can't redistribute it in pieces. I interpret that to mean that I can't preload the Atmel firmware on the AVR ICE-Cube. So, you would need access to a Windoze box with AVR Studio installed to get the AVR ICE-Cube ready for use. On the other hand, I sometimes drive over the speed limit so I'm obviously prepared to make exceptions. If you decide you'd like an AVR ICE-Cube, I can pre-load the firmware on an individual basis. I have done this once before out of many hundreds of AVR ICE-Cubes sold.

For a "newbie enthusiast", however, I would recommend that you consider the AVR Dragon as it probably gives you more options than the AVR ICE-Cube for not much more money.

Graham.