Re: [avr-chat] "double check connections"

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] "double check connections"
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:04:13 +0100

Marge Coahran schrieb:
> I am using several STK500s with ATmega8515L chips to teach assembly
> language in a computer science course.

Sounds good! I've seen too many CS students which have no
glue about anything happening underneath the compiler. :-(

> Today two students got the error
> (below) from avrdude. As best I can tell, the serial port connections
> are correct and solid. Can this error also mean something more ominous,
> say that something on the chip or the board just got blown?
>
> For background, we were also plugging a speaker into the expandion
> header on the STK500. I'm pretty sure this was the problem for one
> student, who wired the speaker between CT1 and GND -- and the AVR socket
> is now corroded! However, another student with the same error message
> wired his speaker between PB0 and GND, which I believe should be fine
> (and works correctly for me and others).

Hmm... you propably don't want to wire up any inductance to any
port pin directly - consider some basic physics when switching
inductors: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/9.html
Maybe you can also ask some guys from the electrical engineering
courses for a review. ;-)

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> quine$ make program
> /usr/local/bin/avrdude -y \
>         -C /usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf \
>         -p m8515 \
>         -c stk500v2 \
>         -P /dev/ttyS0 \
>         -U flash:w:speaker.hex
>
> avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
> avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
>          Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
>          this check.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Smells really like a toasted AVR.
Just replace the AVR and give it another try.

Regards,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH