Re: [avr-chat] ATmega88 + triple 7 Segment Display (CC)

From: Paul Lowe
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega88 + triple 7 Segment Display (CC)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:53:25 -0700

Here's one way to do it (thought up by a Comp. E. student who thinks
he knows everything):

Otherwise, here is a solution using only one data port in parallel:

- Wire each 7 segment display to a digital 8 bit latch.
- Use one data port to send your seven bits of segment data to all
three seven segments via a bus
- Use two wires as multiplexing selection lines to select which seven
segment latch will receive the data. (e.g.: [00] -> segment 1, [01] ->
segment 2, [10] -> segment 3)
- Use some digital logic chips to check the multiplex selection lines
to see which digital latch to enable for loading.

So:

       7-bit Data line
    (to all three displays)

_____                      |-----[Latch 1]---[7-Seg-LED-1]
|   |                      |-----[Latch 3]---[7-Seg-LED-3]
|   |      2-bit Selection Lines     |
        (goes to all three latches)

Or, if you can only use one pin for data transfer, get a SPI external
register chip -- and map the output of that chip to seven output pins.

Cheers,

-Paul Lowe