Re: [avr-chat] ultra-cheap HVSP programmer

From: Neil Davey
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ultra-cheap HVSP programmer
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:36:13 +1000

Hi Nicolas,

If I understand it correctly, since it uses PB5 as GPIO, I have to use
the HVSP programming mode. (I'm not sure about that, but it seems it
might be possible to program it, irreversibly, with ISP.)
You can program the chip using ISP as much as you like, until you program the fuse to disable the reset function of PB5. It won't act as a GPIO until you do that though.. Once you've programed the fuse to disable the reset function, then you will need HVSP to reprogram the chip (and also can reset the fuse IIRC, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Browsing the internet, I found a few HVSP programmers, including a few
do-it-yourself ones, but all of them are rather expensive and require
big programmable chips. On the other hand, there are many ultra-cheap
ISP programmers, including ones using only a few resistors, where the
computer software is expected to perform all the bit-banging.

I guess it should be possible to build an ultra-cheap HVSP programmer,
using only a few off-the-shelf components, perhaps requiring an external
power supply, and where the computer software does all the bit-banging.
Is there any known one? Of course, I'd prefer it to work with avrdude,
or any other free software running on linux.
Is just getting an STK500 an option for you? It provides HVSP capability.

Regards
Neil

Cheers,

Nicolas Boullis

PS: sorry if this message is a duplicate. I first sent it while
unsubscribed, but did not see it reach the archive, so I thought the
list could be subscribers-only and subscribed.