Re: [avr-chat] AVR dragon question

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR dragon question
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:04:42 +0100 (MET)

"Daniel O'Connor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can someone tell me exactly what the AVR Dragon does for JTAG
> debugging?  The info file from Atmel says it has JTAG & debugWire
> "emulation interfaces" but I don't really know what they mean by
> that :)

That's the debugging interface.  It's called emulation for historical
reasons (JTAG and debugWIRE debugging have replaced the much more
expensive emulators that were used instead previously).

The JTAG debugging limitation is devices <= 32 KiB of flash ROM, no
Xmega (so far?), no AVR32 (so far?).  Note that AVRs > 32 KiB of flash
ROM can still be programmed through JTAG nevertheless.